45ACP Mauser update.
The day before Thanksgiving, my Ti-Rant 45 form 4 showed up at my dealer, and re-sparked my 45ACP Mauser project.
During the holiday, I carefully determined that I had a large-ring receiver, and ordered the Rhineland kit. Shipping was prompt, and 3 days later it arrived.
After un-boxing the kit, which was packaged extremely well by Rhineland, I took to the laboratory to screw the new in-the-white barrel into my receiver.
Alas. The new barrel was too big. I quickly snapped some pictures, and right before my wife served dinner, mailed them off to Rhineland, asking him what the deal was.
Shorty after he responded that I did indeed have a hybrid bastard-child of a gun, a large ring receiver with a small ring thread. Just my luck. “No problem,” he said, “I’ll send you a small ring one, send me the large ring one back when you can”. I promptly sent my barrel back, and in the mean time, Rhineland had sent me replacement already, along with the back-ordered ejector. No charge on the shipping.
The replacement barrel fit like a glove. I screwed in the barrel, inserted a 45ACP No GO gauge in the chamber with the bolt, and determined my headspace, alternating between GO and NO GO gauges, until I found the right spot.
Tighten the lock ring with some Blue Loc-tite on the treads, confirm headspace, and step 1 is done.
After that, I installed the magazine adapter and extended ejector, and after a bit of tweaking and filing, I got ‘er cycling and feeding smoothly.
The initial range trip was successful today, although the Kimber magazine I had modified to function properly at home, proved less reliable than a unmolested Chip McCormick magazine. Unlike some previous builder stated in their Youtube build video, I don’t have to “ram” the bolt home to get a positive feed, just some good momentum is enough.
Next up for this project:
- Remove the barrel and have it threaded .578″x28 for use with a suppressor;
- Reinstall barrel, and refinish the received and barrel. I’m thinking a simple Brownells spray-on finish.
- Come up with a solution for sights of some kind. A way to low-mount a Doctor/RPD-II would be ideal.